Pre Op Information
Pre Operative Preparation – Breast Enlargement
In preparation for breast augmentation, there are certain requests we make of patients:
- Avoid using medications containing aspirin or any anti inflammatory agents. Aspirin reduces the ability of your blood to clot and could increase your tendency to bleed during recovery.
- Advise of any medication you are taking.
- Inform Dr Chan of any surgery you have had (including any breast biopsies)
- Advise of any family history of breast cancer and results of past mammograms
- Note on your acquaintance form any medical problems you have had or allergies that you suffer from.
- Please mention any allergies that you have to dressing tapes, drugs or medications
- Organise to get a good nights sleep the night before surgery
- You will be given a mild sedative to take the night before surgery. It will help reduce anxiety.
- Drink plenty of fluids 24 hours before surgery
Your support person is someone you choose, normally a close friend or family member. This person will play an important part in your postoperative care.
- They will be responsible for picking you up from the surgery on the day of your operation.
- They need to make themselves available to you for at least 24 hours after surgery.
- Prior to surgery, your support person will have received a form detailing their responsibilities and contact details for Dr Chan, that they would have signed and returned to us.
- After your surgery, they will be given the prescription for the medication you are to take for the first couple of days. Your support person will also be given instructions on when, and how often, the medication needs to be taken.
You may find that you feel fragile or even a little emotional after your surgery. This is perfectly normal. It is in situations like this, we find our patients take comfort in the presence of a familiar and supportive person.
If you would prefer to keep the details of your surgery private, we recommend you choose someone discrete to fulfil the role of your support person. We require you to provide us with full contact details for the person you choose.